Monday, 3 June 2013

Spa Land - Korea's Best Jjimjilbang?

Spa Land - Korea's Best Jjimjilbang
Back in March, I made a post about my first time in a jjimjilbang, and since then I've been to several more of these lavish Korean-style bathhouses. Dragon Hill Spa remains my favourite one in Seoul, but Angela and I recently visited an even better jjimjilbang in Busan called Spa Land. Having been there last year, Angela was adamant about revisiting, and I can see why. It has a huge variety of different saunas, bathing areas and other facilities, is laid out in clean, contemporary interiors of polished marble staircases and oak-pannelled walls, and it cost a mere 13 dollars each for the four hours we spent there.


The jjimjilbang is located in the largest department store in the world: Shinsegae Centrum City.
The main entrance.
People relax in the shared resting area.
One of our favourite parts was the outdoor footbath. It was scolding hot at times, but very therapeutic.

Angela tries out the acupuncture path, which massages your feet as you walk across it. Note the redness of her lower legs from the foot bath.
Back inside.
In the ice room there was a tank filled with drifting jellyfish. It took some close examination before we realised they were artificial. Made me feel like I was in a Philip K. Dick novel.
Relaxing in the Yellow Ochre Room.

The Salt Room.
The Roman Sauna.
The Pyramid Room.
In the relax room upstairs there are dozens of reclining chairs, each one equipped with its own TV.
Oxygen tanks for people to rest in.

This was the SEV Room, where ions are emitted from the walls to provide a therapeutic effect.
The Hammam Room (a Turkish-style sauna).


I haven't been to a great deal of jjimjilbangs yet, but it's hard to imagine a better one than Spa Land. The meditative atmosphere and decorative interior design, as well as the wide range of facilities, made it a perfect place to spend a few hours relaxing. I only wish it were closer to Seoul so I could visit more often!

If you're interested in going there yourself, take the Busan metro to Centrum City station on Line 2. It's well signposted from Exit 12.

Also, please comment below if you know of a better jjimjilbang in Korea. If such a place exists, I'd love to know about it!

trazy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment